Dow has best performance in 7 weeks. Second straight week of gains for the major indices
The major US stocks and see some squeeze higher into the close as sanctions on China are less than feared. The NASDAQ led the way with a gain of 1.29%. The Dow ended lower as investors shifted back to the technology growth stocks.
The final numbers are showing
- S&P index up 14.58 points or 0.48% at 3044.31
- NASDAQ index rose by 120.88 points or 1.29% at 9489.87
- Dow industrial average fell by 17.53 points or -0.07% to 25383.13.
In Europe today the story was different with most the indices closing near their session lows.
In Europe, the France’s CAC rose by 5.64% and the Spain’s Ibex nearly rose 6%. The UK FTSE was the under performer with a 1.02% gain.
It is month end and that means the final numbers for the month are also done.
- The Nasdaq led the charge with a strong 6.75% gain.
- The S&P rose by 4.53% and
- the Dow increased by 4.26%.
In the European market, the German Dax led the way:
- German DAX, +6.68%
- France’s CAC, +2.7%
- UK’s FTSE 100, +2.97%
- Spain’s Ibex, +2.52%
- Italy’s FTSE MIB, +2.87%
Finally for the year to date, the NASDAQ index is the only major indices in Europe or the US with a gain.
- NASDAQ index +5.76%
- S&P index -5.77%
- Dow industrial average -11.06%
- German DAX, -12.55%
- France’s CAC, -21.46%
- UK’s FTSE 100, -19.43%
- Spain’s Ibex, -25.68%
- Italy’s FTSE MIB, -22.58%