Coronavirus weekend news – Chinese media, Global Times, reports via Twitter that an official at the country’s National Health Commission:
- says China has officially launched emergency use of a vaccine
- the vaccine has been in clinical trial since July 22
GT also report on a more than 20,000 person phase III clinical trial in the UAE of Sinopharm’s COVID19 vaccine
- has shown a high level of safety
- efficacy is currently under observation
Both of the GT items are tweets only, not accompanied by further articles for more information.
- vaccine is being developed by the State Key Laboratory of Biological Therapy of Sichuan University affiliated West China Hospital
- vaccine uses insect cells to multiply in the culture medium and introduces the gene of COVID-19 into insect cells, which means the cell can be used as a factory to produce high-quality recombinant vaccine proteins and purify them for refinement.
- vaccine was tested on monkeys and other animals, and was found to have a good protective effect against COVID-19 infection, with no obvious side effects
Given the history of how markets view vaccine news (generally positively) this threefer from the GT might be a boost for sentiment on Monday. There is still plenty of time left over the weekend for less than favourable stories to develop, stay tuned.